An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
We’ve got Ben Franklin to thank for those wise words, and they’re as true today as they were then: it’s worth taking the time to identify and address potential issues, because fixing them when they blow up is much more costly. While you might associate that old adage with personal health, it’s not much of a stretch to apply it to your company website, too. Websites are a living, breathing part of the digital world, and your site isn’t something you can just set and forget.
Just as your body benefits from regular trips to the doctor, your website needs regular checkups to make sure all the parts are working together and not creating problems for users. So, what are the things you should be keeping a watchful eye on when you look at your website?
The skeleton of a website is how it is organized, accessed, and set up for both users and search engines to get in and find their way around. You’ll want to:
- Make sure all of your links work – and if you find a broken one, correct it
- Make it easy for the search engine robots to crawl your site and return good information to Google
- Make sure that content and site pages aren’t confusing and complicated for end users
If the structure of your site is like a skeleton, the lifeblood of user experience on your site is found in its content. Your site’s content serves to generate traffic, and if you don’t have content or your content is poorly written, your traffic will suffer. Content should be:
- Regularly published
- Well-written, with good grammar
- Original and unduplicated anywhere else on the site
- Easily accessible for both end users and search engine crawlers
Just as the nerves in your body respond quickly and carry sensations throughout your body, your site’s response to its audience needs to demonstrate speed and accuracy. User experience is every bit as important to the well-being of your site as its structure and content. Great user experience includes:
- Pages that load quickly
- Responsive Web Design
- Accurate information returned for queries
- A clear path of desired action, leading the user to conversions as you have defined them
- Well-thought-out site design
Much like you entrust your health to a medical doctor, you should entrust your website to a professional who knows what a website should be achieving. Lieberman Technologies can audit your website on these factors and many more, based on our years of experience working with clients to make their websites the best and most effective they can be. A website audit is painless (unlike some visits to the doctor) and can help you to improve your site’s health for the long-term.
Want to know more? Click here to get started on getting your website the checkup it needs.