For the past few years, Twitter has been no secret. Many companies have adopted the social media platform as a marketing medium. This acceptance has not been on blind faith alone. Twitter has experienced rapid growth since the first Tweet on March 21, 2006.
What is a Tweet?
A tweet is a text based message containing 140 characters or less that is sent or received by a Twitter user.
How Big is Big?
Twitter’s growth has progressed to impressive heights on all measures:
- It took 3 years, 2 months and 1 day for Twitter to reach the one billionth Tweet. Today, Twitter sends 1 billion Tweets per week.
- 175,000,000 registered users.
- 140,000,000 Tweets per day.
- 460,000 new user sign-ups per day.
- 182% increase in mobile usage over the past year.
This numbers don’t mean that Twitter is the answer for everyone or every business. Businesses need to address the needs and how Twitter help them communicate with their target market. The U.S. adoption rate of Twitter is estimated at 8%. With that said, 8% of 175,000,000 is still 14,000,000 users. That is a large base of potential interaction available to you with a FREE tool.
We’d love to hear from you. Do you use Twitter? Why or why not?